Thursday, July 14, 2011

Learning to screen print

Before I started screen printing, about a year ago, I had been wanting to get into this field for many years. Because I live on a island in the N-Atlantic Ocean, with just over 300.000 inhabitants, there aren't that many screen printers and very few if any teaching it. I found one and he lived in the opposite part of the island 13 hour drive away. Thinking screen printing was complicated and hard I continuously postpond jumping into it - so for many years I had unfulfilled screen printing desire. 

_mg_7277-139-177_vefst

Last year Dagbjört and I decided to start a small family business together. After a great deal of thinking we decided it would be fun to design and silks screen t-shirts - inspired by nature with an eco-friendly touch. 

Instead of finding a local teacher I found Ryonet's YouTube channel through Google. They have good video tutorials on probably every aspect of silk screening. I ordered equipment from them and with it I got DVD's with step-by-step tutorials on screen printing. Through trial and error over the last year I have gotten better at this craft. And each time I go silk screening I add to my knowledge - always discovering something new.

Screen printing isn't complicated or hard - it takes time and patience though - but it is rewarding and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment